Tuesday, January 6, 2009

National Beasts

A while ago I posted about winning the First Draft Gallery poster competition - the grand prize being a free show at some point in 2009. The directors got back to me and the only slot available is at the beginning of February, which gives me little over a month to make new work for the show. Not exactly the time frame I had planned for my first solo show but beggars can't be choosers.

I've been spending the holidays trying to wrap up some illustration work and do some new drawings for the show at the same time. I don't even have an invitation sorted out yet, things have been so mega chaotic. I haven't managed to keep a train of thought for longer than a couple of seconds. I am pretty stressed out.

Tough times with the recession also meant I got laid off at work for a month, so the screenprinting studio access that I was relying on to make work for the show is pretty much ruled out, however I do at least have the days free to draw, so it is kind of a blessing in disguise. I am rivetted to know how I will pull this one off. You'll know when I know.

Also I've moved out of the hipster paradise that was Darlinghurst and after a lot of jerking around by real esate agents and landlords, finally found a nice little terrace to move into with some friends in Ultimo right across the road from the Powerhouse Museum and in a good proximity to Hurricanes at Darling Harbour. My new stomping ground will be Chinatown - I am excited to take night-time photo essays of torn up bill posters, crabs in fishtanks, and garbage on the street!

Here are some new years resolutions:
- Go to the beach more often
- Save enough money to move to Paris to live in 2010
- No more coffee
- No more partying on Oxford St
- Get all my suits tailored

I return to work in February, which, funnily enough, will be like a holiday compared to the past couple of months (and the fatal month coming up).

PS The photo of the delicious profiterole stack is meant to offset the blatant negativity of this post. I took the photo whilst waiting in line at the Beard Papa near Shibuya Station, I had about six in one go, they were del-eee-shis!! I have very fond memories of Tokyo!

2 comments:

Jin Hien Lau said...

why paris in 2010 ? En Francais, s'il vous plait?

EL Gato Negro said...

hey man just check out your work you are a force to reckon with. love the impact of it. great motivational stuff you got sir. And best of luck on your solo show.