Wednesday, March 19, 2008

STRANGE AEONS

I started a full time job recently, which is why I haven't been posting much(I haven't been home much). I am now a Technical Assistant for the Fine Arts/Printmaking department at Hornsby TAFE. I spend eight hours a day at work and almost four hours a day on public transport (Hornsby is a long way away from the gothic sublime of Maroubra Beach), which leaves me twelve remaining hours to eat, sleep, and read Oh No They Didn't. If I stay back after work to do my own work then that leaves me around six hours at home until I am back at Hornsby.

Of course it is not all bad, the job comes with some benefits....




I've made it a little project of mine to get the screenprinting equipment up to speed. I tried pushing the current resources as far as they could go tonight and faced a FAIL of epic proportions. Everything that could go wrong in screenprinting did, which would be fine if I didn't have a load of work due for some shows coming up. I'll admit that I was a bit rusty from not printing for over a year but the amount of problems I encountered left me completely defeated.

In case anyone reading this didn't already know, screenprinting at large format can be MEGA HARD. I realise now that I took for granted the swish equipment that I had at my disposal during my COFA days. DIY style screenprinting without top-of-the-line equipment is so excruciating it makes me want to quit screenprinting entirely.

Anyway before this post becomes too dark, two shows coming up:


Charles Dennington is showing in the group show at Somedays, his work is amazing - I missed out on seeing his solo show before so I'm glad I'll get another chance to see his stuff.

I'll be updating my website over the long weekend too so it will look like I've been keeping busy doing something other than falling asleep on trains and checking Facebook.

7 comments:

Jin Hien Lau said...

o hot, im a Hornsby TAFE Alumni myself

james said...

I think you have been at EVERY school??

Jin Hien Lau said...

pretty much

Bill Hood said...

Check out the articles and books at http://thescreenprintstore.com online for all the information you will ever need on screenprinting.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/03/anti-emo-riots.html

bei badgirl said...

why don't you get a job at my school? we can hang out on lunch breaks and plan future shows together. our screen printing equipment is considerably swish.