Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Missing New York City

I don't think I did New York properly. I had the most amazing time and felt like I got a real sense of the city but there was so much left unexplored. We were there for six weeks so it was long enough not to have to rush around and cram things in but at the same time nothing was really a priority so things just went at their own pace.

I remember my trip to Japan/Laos/Thailand being so stressful because of all the stuff I tried to cram in. Trying to squeeze every last experience out of the place but only ending up anxious and nervous all the time.

New York was more of a real holiday, but a holiday in a city, which is kind of strange. We didn't really care much for the tourist hotspots, and to tell you the truth I barely visited any small galleries (even though we were staying in Chelsea a couple of blocks from the central art nerve of NYC).


Eventually I visited the art part of Chelsea but got such strange vibes from it. It was cold and intimidating and completely alien landscape to me. I didn't stay long and didn't end up going back either. Now I'm reading all these art blogs about things that were on and places I should have gone. For instance I missed an opening at Jonathan Levine gallery because there was so much randomness on that night, and as it turns out James Jean was at the opening because the artist showing was for a friend of his! Not that he would have remembered me from last year's Semi Permanent but still...

I'll probably need to go back to New York with a list of things to do. I loved New York. I loved bagels with lox and BBQ for dinner, and I loved scouting flea markets all day and hanging out at Barnes and Noble all night.

1 comment:

mili said...

ohh I remember those hall mazes.

my friend and I pretty much went through all of chelsea in 2 days.

and right after typing that I got a rush of flashback images going through my mind of the stuff I saw. damn.