Friday, September 19, 2008

Metaverses vs Mirrorverses


I went to the Australian Centre of Photography in Paddington tonight to see a panel discussion about the future of Web 2.0 and the relationships between social networking sites and identities based on mixed realities. It was epic. There were only about a handful of people there to watch(we were all wearing black which was nice) but there was still a satanstorm of ideas going around, mostly between the panel judges - the audience were just happy to listen in.

I love listening to people who know their shit talk about things they are passionate about. Extra points for being articulate and not overly opinionated. I managed to fill up my entire notebook with a shitload of notes - I had maybe eight epiphanies over the course of the discussion about metaverses, mirrorverses, the direction my work is taking, and the future.

The panel discussion was running in tandem with the current exhibition on there called Avatar: The New You, featuring a whole bunch of international artists. I was really keen to see the work of fellow COFA kid Justin Shoulder but by the time the talk had finished the gallery was closed.

Another great way to procrastinate joining the gym.

I've been wearing a flowing oversized hoodie I bought for twenty dollars and walking around town looking like a Sith Lord. Feels great - now that everyone is wearing leather jackets and I can't dress like Danny Zuko anymore - so cosplay is the obvious next step. I ordered a whole bunch of suits from Topman - soon I will start dressing like my grandad who wore suits all the time - he was an epic Sith Lord.

No comments: